The NRCC also will air ads for the first time in three open seats: $2.7 million in a new district in North Carolina’s Research Triangle, where Republican Bo Hines faces Democratic state Sen. Wiley Nickel; $2.6 million in a newly created district in the northern Denver suburbs, where Republican Barb Kirkmeyer is challenging state Rep. Yadira Caraveo; and $3.4 million in an open district in northeastern Ohio, where Democratic state Rep. Emilia Sykes faces Republican Madison Gesiotto Gilbert.
These buys give insight into what Republican strategists see as the clearest path to taking back the House. Additional spending is expected in the next two months.
“We are continuing to expand the playing field deeper into Democrat-held territory and look forward to prosecuting the case against every one of these vulnerable Democrats,” NRCC Chair Tom Emmer said in a statement.
The committee also upped its investment in Republican-held turf, too.
It will spend $2.2 million in its first ad buy to defend Rep. Michelle Steel (R-Calif.). And the NRCC increased its spending to protect Reps. David Valadao (R-Calif.), Mike Garcia (R-Calif.), Don Bacon (R-Neb.) and Steve Chabot (R-Ohio). All hold districts that Biden carried in 2020, leaving them increasingly vulnerable.
The NRCC also added to existing reservations in another eight districts currently held by Democrats, including Reps. Cindy Axne (D-Iowa), Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.), Dan Kildee (D-Mich.) and Angie Craig (D-Minn.), as well as districts currently held by retiring Reps. Ann Kirkpatrick (D-Ariz.) and Conor Lamb (D-Pa.). It will also spend another $1.9 million to target Rep. Jared Golden (D-Maine) and $1 million against Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-Pa.).
New NRCC spending:
- $2.2M to help Rep. Michelle Steel (R-Calif.)
- $2.6M in the open CO-08
- $2.7M in the open NC-13
- $3.4M in the open OH-13
- $950K against Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas)
- $3.7M against Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.)
- $2.3M against Rep. Kim Schrier (D-Wash)
Additional investments (with GOP-held seats in bold):
- $750K in the open AZ-06
- $1.3M to help Rep. David Valadao (R-Calif.)
- $2.2M to help Rep. Mike Garcia (R-Calif.)
- $850K against Rep. Cindy Axne (D-Iowa)
- $1.9M against Rep. Jared Golden (D-Maine)
- $400K against Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.)
- $300K against Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich.)
- $300K against Rep. Angie Craig (D-Minn.)
- $650K to help Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.)
- $250K to help Rep. Steve Chabot (R-Ohio)
- $1.05M against Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-Pa.)
- $600K in the open PA-17